Improve your Fuel Economy
Improve your Fuel Economy
Mileage is one of the most important factors one considers while buying a vehicle. The best mileage of all the vehicles is pre-determined and makes an essential point of sales copy. By finding mileage, the vehicle owners can speculate the expenditure on fuel they will require to make. However, to achieve the best mileage, one needs to follow certain maintenance practices. A vehicle is said to be fuel economic when it offers covering of more miles in the given amount of gas.
Why Fuel Economy is Important
Fuel economy means the number of miles covered per unit of fuel consumed. It has become a better parameter for finding the vehicle’s performance. This feature is calculated in miles per gallon or MPG. This parameter is important to find how much fuel you will require to complete a trip.
The best benefits of having better fuel economy are:
- It Helps Practice Green Habits in Driving: Vehicles need fuel to work. If they consume more fuel, it will increase the mining activities which will be required to meet the fuel demand. The oil fields are going to dry up one day; all know that. Thus, to ensure that the oil fields are not put under pressure, and to make the driving a sustainable activity, the fuel economy is a very important parameter to achieve.
- Reduced Emission of Harmful Gas Emissions: Fuels burn, produce smoke and ultimately cause pollution. Air quality in cities is going down dismally due to smoke content in air. If the vehicle uses fuel economically, the harmful emissions from vehicle can go down and help people have better quality of air.
Ways to Increase Fuel Economy
Fuel economy becomes easier to achieve when the mileage of vehicles is improved. So, the first thing to do is buy a vehicle that has better mileage. However, extracting the best mileage depends a lot upon how you drive or maintain a vehicle. So, some important tips to make a vehicle fuel economic are:
- Maintain Optimal Speed in Driving: If you drive fast, you will use accelerator more and apply brakes often. It is said that speeding increases fuel consumption by about 30% when on a highway, and more when you are driving through the city. When you maintain slow speed, the fuel consumption lowers; it also increases the life of the vehicle.
- Do Not Over Burden the Vehicle: All vehicles come with a load limit. The number of persons allowed per vehicle is also pre-determined. However, to extract maximum benefits from a single trip, the vehicle owners tend to over burden the vehicle. Pushing an over-burdened vehicle requires more fuel; it increase the wear and tear of the parts too. Thus, you will lose on fuel as well as the life of the vehicle by over-burdening it.
- Driving in Winter Conditions: Winters pose many challenging conditions for the vehicles. The tires lose the pressure, battery loses the charge and there is frequent requirement of applying brakes. All these conditions force the vehicle to use more fuel for the same task.